“I see people buying or ordering food even during COVID19. Is it really safe?”
Yes, restaurants are in business, but some people still have reservations about eating food they did not cook at home.
Here’s what you need to know.
1. Can you get #COVID19 from food?
There is currently no evidence that people can catch COVID-19 from food or food packaging. COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and transmission is through direct contact with the respiratory droplets of an infected person.
2. Can #COVID19 live on the surface of pre-packaged foods, fruits and vegetables?
Coronaviruses cannot multiply in food – they need a live animal or human host to multiply and survive.
3. Is there a special way to wash fruits/vegetables during this pandemic?
Washing fruits/vegetables with water is sufficient. Also, do the following
1. Keep clean
2. Separate raw & cooked
3. Cook properly
4. Store at safe temperatures
5. Use safe water
4. Can the virus live on the surface of food packaging? How long? Is it necessary to disinfect?
It is not necessary to disinfect food packaging materials, but hands should be properly washed after handling food packages and before eating.
5. How long is it to cook food? To what temperature to kill the virus?
This virus is not more resistant to heat than the usual viruses and bacteria found in food. As recommended for good hygiene practice, foods should be thoroughly cooked to at least 70°C.
6. What precautions should consumers take in grocery stores?
Consumers should maintain a safe physical distance of at least one metre from all other shoppers and staff while queuing before entering the store and while shopping.
If a trolley or basket is used while shopping, sanitize your hands and the handle before and after use.
7. Is food/grocery delivery safe?
Yes, if the provider follows good personal and food hygiene practices. After accepting food/grocery deliveries, hands should be washed with soap and water.
Also read: 7 Common Brushing Mistakes People Make