“I see people buying or ordering food even during COVID-19. Is it really safe?” Is there really a connection between Covid-19 and food because while restaurants are in business, some people still have reservations about eating what isn’t home-cooked?
Here’s what you need to know.
1. Can you get #COVID19 from food?
There is currently no evidence that people can contract COVID-19 from food or food packaging. This is because COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and transmission is through direct contact with the respiratory droplets of an infected person.
2. Can COVID19 live on the surface of pre-packaged foods, fruits and vegetables?
Coronaviruses cannot multiply in food because they need a live animal or human host to multiply and survive.
3. Is there a special way to wash fruits/vegetables during this pandemic?
Wash the fruits/vegetables with water and you’ll be just fine. Also, do the following
- Keep clean
- Separate raw & cooked
- Cook properly
- Store at safe temperatures
- Use safe water
4. Can the virus live on the surface of food packaging? How long? Is it necessary to disinfect?
It is not necessary to disinfect food packaging materials, but hands should be properly washed after handling food packages and before eating.
5. How long is it to cook food? To what temperature to kill the virus?
This virus is not more resistant to heat than the usual viruses and bacteria found in food. As recommended for good hygiene practice, foods should be thoroughly cooked to at least 70°C.
6. What precautions should consumers take in grocery stores?
Maintain a safe physical distance of at least one metre from all other shoppers and staff while queuing, before entering the store and while shopping.
Sanitize your hands and the handle of shopping trolleys or baskets before and after use.
7. Is food/grocery delivery safe?
Yes, if the provider follows good personal and food hygiene practices. Wash your hands with soap and water after accepting food/grocery deliveries,
Also read: 7 Common Brushing Mistakes People Make